How To: Critique

 Critique is so much easier than people make it out to, at least on the level that were currently working.


think of the shit sandwich format:


- something nice

- ur honest slightly watered down opinion

- and finish it with something else nice that involves the phrase "you could consider adding/changing" or something along those lines. 


some key words to avoid to make yourself sound smarter:

  • cool
  • good
  • nice
  • "it really pops"
  • interesting
consider using:
  • "the ___ really makes the ___ push forward"
  • comment on the basics:
  1. composition
  2. line
  3. value
  4. colour pallet
  5. negative space
  6. depth
  7. style
  8. theme
  9. technique
  10. tone
  • "I appreciate"
  • "I wonder"
  • "I am interested in ___"

example:


"I really appreciate the use of simple line and value in this piece. I think the eye really adds a more grotesque theme to the work that I would love to know more about. 
I think that this work could be maybe a little more diverse in its use of tone, maybe having some more variations of grey or something like that.
all in all I think this is a very strong work with such an awesome composition." 

ta-da!!! 

thats it, practice in the mirror or wtv 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sources for your Art History assignments that aren't sketchy blog posts like this one